My Story

My story began 2 years ago when I discovered a lump in my right breast.  I went to the doctor and all the right steps were taken, including a biopsy.  This biopsy came back negative. 

In the summer of 2010, I discovered that this lump had some changes to it so once again I proceeded to go through the right steps and had another biopsy done.  On Friday September 24th, I received those results that showed I have breast cancer.  I selected to make an appointment with Dr Farrar at the James Institute.  I was told that I would not be able to get an appointment for weeks but amazingly enough I had an appointment the following Tuesday, September 28th. Thank God for small miracles.

I was at that appointment for 5 hours.  I was told that I have the rarest type of breast cancer, Invasive Lobular Carcinoma.  I was told that I could have a lumpectomy or a mastectomy with chance of recurrence being the same for both surgeries, so I chose a lumpectomy.  The tumor was approximately 2cm which would make it stage II because it is staged based on size. I was also told the lymph nodes would be tested on the day of surgery and if negative I would only need radiation.  If they were positive, it would be chemotherapy and then radiation.  I met a couple of other women at the James that day, women who actually worked there, that had experienced the same type of cancer as myself and they are doing well to this day.   I also had hormone indicators tested with the pathology report and was told they came back "best case scenario".    All of these things were uplifting and reassuring.

I had the surgery at OSU Medical Center on the following Wednesday, October 6th.  Unfortunately, the lymph node test returned positive.  I had them removed during surgery and they placed a drain that should remain for about 10 days.  I went home the next day and have been getting around well since.  I am unable to drive and I have lifting restrictions but overall feel okay.  The drain is an annoyance and sore but tolerable.

I had a follow up appointment with Dr Farrar on Thursday, October 14th.  The drain was not removed due to the amount of drainage and it had not been 10 days yet.  I was informed that when it is removed, I will then be sent to see a Medical Oncologist to discuss and schedule the chemotherapy treatment.  I was told that the chemo will last anywhere from 6 months to 12 months. 

I now have an appointment to return to Dr Farrar on this Thursday, October 21st, hopefully to remove the drain. I should then be able to see the Medical Oncologist.  From there, I assume things will probably start moving quickly.  

For now, I wait.




Make a free website with - Report abuse